Are you interested in making a difference for animals in your career? The Animal Welfare Institute is a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing animal suffering caused by people. We seek better treatment of animals everywhere—in the laboratory, on the farm, in commerce, at home, and in the wild. Click on the links below to learn more about career opportunities at AWI.
Laboratory Animal Program Staff Member
Since 1951, the Animal Welfare Institute has been alleviating suffering inflicted on animals by humans. Through engagement with policymakers, scientists, industry, and the public, AWI seeks to:
- Abolish factory farms, support high-welfare family farms, and achieve humane slaughter for animals raised for food;
- Improve the housing and handling of animals in research, and encourage the development and implementation of alternatives to experimentation on live animals;
- End the use of steel-jaw leghold traps and reform other brutal methods of capturing and killing wildlife;
- Preserve species threatened with extinction, and protect wildlife from harmful exploitation and destruction of critical habitat;
- Protect companion animals from cruelty and violence, including appalling conditions in commercial trade; and
- Prevent injury and death of animals caused by harsh transport conditions.
AWI staff are scientists, policy experts, lobbyists, lawyers, designers, writers, and support staff that are committed to advancing our core mission.