For over 60 years, the Animal Welfare Institute (AWI) has been advocating for better care, handling and housing for animals in research. AWI furthers this goal by providing those in research laboratories with a variety of complimentary reference books; a subscription to the AWI Quarterly; membership in an online discussion group for laboratory personnel (the Laboratory Animal Refinement and Enrichment Forum); and the opportunity to apply for grants to improve the housing and handling of animals in research.
AWI also presses for protection of animals in laboratories by lobbying for needed laws, sound regulations, sufficient funding to carry out legal mandates, and appropriate enforcement. AWI gives public comments, formal testimony, and presentations in support of our mission; examples can be found below in downloadable PDF format.
- Comments to the US Fish and Wildlife Service opposing Yerkes application to export chimpanzees to the United Kingdom (February 2016)
- Supplemental Comments to USFWS on Status Review of the Split-Listing of Chimpanzees under the Endangered Species Act (January 2012)
- Comments to USFWS on Status Review of the Split-Listing of Chimpanzees under the Endangered Species Act (October 2011)
- Statement Before the Committee to Update the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (September 2008)
- Statement to the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Support of Written Records of Veterinary Care (June 2003)
- Comments to the National Institutes of Health on Regulatory Burden (May 1999)