The Advocacy Coordinator manages all aspects of AWI’s public calls to “action” (known internally as “eAlerts”) and seeks out strategies to further engage individuals committed to improving animal welfare.
- Strategize with program teams to develop and schedule AWI’s action eAlerts
- Distribute eAlerts to segmented lists using AWI’s online advocacy platform (The Soft Edge)
- Assure that AWI’s constituent database is up-to-date through regular list scrubbing
- Grow AWI’s consistent subscriber database by executing growth campaigns, including through platforms such as Care2
- Monitor, improve upon, and report on open rates, click through rate, spam rates, etc.
- Research innovative ways to further engage constituents on important issues affecting animals
- Respond to emails, troubleshoot, and assist constituents when issues arise with taking action
- Work with social media and communications coordinator to build, engage, and maintain a base of supporters that regularly take action for animals
- Stay up to date with digital advocacy strategies and marketing best practices (compliance rules, spam reduction, content optimization etc.)
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of digital advocacy, email marketing, or related experience or training required
- Knowledge of US legislative and rulemaking process preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated to complete tasks with little supervision, but also able to work well as a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to prioritize projects and tasks
- Demonstrated interest in animal welfare
- Flexibility to work concurrently on multiple projects and take direction from multiple people
- Quick and enthusiastic learner
- Ability to multitask and manage short and long-term deadlines
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and experience with other Microsoft Office and Windows programs
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and basic HTML a plus
Hourly rate is commensurate with experience and abilities. Benefits include employer-paid medical, prescription, and dental insurance, employee-paid vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, paid leave, on-site parking, and commuter benefit program.
Washington, D.C. Remote working will not be considered for this position.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample (sample email marketing campaign or other grass-roots advocacy document preferred) to email@example.com, “Attn: Advocacy Coordinator.” The position will remain open until filled. No telephone calls, please.