None needed at this time.
Thank you to everyone who came out on May 12 to show their support for the “Good Food Now!” campaign. We have more events in the works, but in the meantime please sign the petition asking Olive Garden and its parent company, Darden Restaurants, to improve how they treat people, animals, and the environment.
In January, as part of the Good Food Now campaign, we asked you to sign your name to a petition calling on Olive Garden and its parent company, Darden Restaurants, to improve how it treats workers, animals, and the environment. On May 12, we will be delivering the petition and we hope you will join us!
Already your voices have been heard by Darden. The company recently announced that it is making modest improvements to its animal welfare policy by phasing out gestation crates by 2025 and battery cages by 2018—confinement practices that severely restrict the movement of pregnant pigs and egg-laying hens.
While this is a step forward, the company needs to make larger strides to bring its practices in line with its rhetoric. The company claims it treats animals humanely, that it respects workers, and that all of its food is responsibly sourced. Yet, in reality, it still sanctions animal suffering and low wages.
It is time for Darden to put its words into practice by implementing our request for #GoodFoodNow.
What You Can Do:
If you live in the Washington, DC, or San Francisco metropolitan area, please join us as we deliver petitions to Olive Garden.
San Francisco, CA:
If you are unable to attend either event your voice can still be heard! Please do any (or all!) of the following:
- Sign up for our Thunderclap (a joint social media campaign that will send out a pre-written message from your social media account on May 12 asking Olive Garden to improve its practices).
- Copy this image and share it on your social media accounts:
Or share the campaign on Facebook and Twitter.
- Post polite comments on Olive Garden's comment page, https://www.olivegarden.com/contact-us. We encourage you to post comments that are similar to these messages:
- Food tastes better when it is responsibly sourced and served by respected workers. Please implement the Good Food Now (http://good-food-now.com) principles so that I can enjoy eating at Olive Garden.
- Animal welfare is important to me. Thank you for taking a step in the right direction by phasing out battery cages and gestation crates. There is so much more you can do to help animals. Please implement the Good Food Now (http://good-food-now.com) principles.
- I would like to see Olive Garden improve its animal welfare practices and offer more organic products and meat alternatives. Olive Garden can do this by implementing the Good Food Now (http://good-food-now.com) principles.
Also, be sure to share our "Dear Humanitarian" eAlert with family, friends and co-workers, and encourage them to contact Olive Garden too.
As always, thank you very much for your dedication to protecting animals!
Farm Animal Policy Associate