None needed at this time.
Congress is considering five bills that would profoundly weaken the ESA—the “Wildlife Extinction Package” (H.R. 3131, H.R. 424, H.R. 717, H.R. 2603, and H.R. 1274). Unfortunately, all five passed the House Natural Resources Committee last October, and could now be voted on by the entire House at any time.
These anti-wildlife pieces of legislation, which cater to special interests that want to open up more land for development at the expense of wildlife, include provisions to do the following:
- remove federal protection from gray wolves in the Great Lakes region and prevent challenges to the delisting in court
- weaken the “citizen suit” provision of the law, which allows for challenges to the government’s decisions about species management
- enable the federal government to ignore a petition to list a species as threatened if its listing could have economic effects
- remove ESA protections from any non-native species that is within the United States
- specify that anything submitted by states, tribes, or counties automatically constitutes “best available science”
Please ask your representative to oppose these enormously detrimental bills.
Share this eAlert with your family, friends, and co-workers, and ask them to take action too. Thank you for speaking out on behalf of wildlife!